The KC Royals hit three home runs en route to their 9-3 victory over division rival Chicago. Six of their runs scored with two outs.
Alex Gordon led off the bottom of the first with a solo home run (his third homer this spring). Lorenzo Cain added a two-run shot in the third (2-for-2 with two runs scored). Travis Snider, competing for the right field job, hit a two out, three-run home run in the seventh.
The Royals scored five runs in the 7th inning.
- Yordano Ventura worked four innings in the start. Though he threw 62 pitches, he showcased his changeup and curveball in striking out six.
- Joakim Soria struck out the side in his perfect fifth.
- Chien-Ming Wang touched 95mph on the radar gun in his scoreless inning (one hit and one strikeout).
- Lefty Scott Alexander continues to throw up zeros, as he pitched a perfect eighth with a strikeout (just eight pitches).
- Starting second base candidate Omar Infante collected his second double of the spring.
- Clint Barmes went 2-for-2 with his third double.
- Starting second base candidate Christian Colon continues to struggle offensively, going 0-for-3. He is still seeking his first hit.
- John Lannan allowed his first run this spring, a solo home run in the seventh. However, he only threw eight pitches in recording three outs.
Brandon Finnegan is slated to pitch tomorrow for Cincinnati against the Royals. THAT should be interesting. I hope he does well.
*Infielder Cheslor Cuthbert, who has not played since March 6th (and only played three games total) was optioned to Triple-A. Lefty Matt Strahm, who pitched the 9th inning (1IP, H, R, BB, 2K), was optioned to Double-A. The Royals therefore sent 16 players to minor league camp today.