Thursday’s MRI on KC Royals lefty Tim Collins‘ elbow came back showing ligament damage. The team is seeking a second opinion.
I honestly did not think Collins deserved to be a favorite for one of the 2-3 open bullpen spots this spring, so let the competition begin:
- Will the Royals thwart their long-term plan for rookie Brandon Finnegan and put him back in the bullpen?
- Can 6’7 Brian Flynn earn a spot in the bullpen, despite being a starter?
- Veteran Franklin Morales, who was signed to a minor league contract right before players reported to Surprise, will pitch for the first time this afternoon. Can he regain his Boston glory years with the Royals?
- What about the funky Joe Paterson, who pitched well last season with Triple-A Reno in the Arizona organization?
- Or what about one of the other non-roster invitees like Buddy Baumann, Chris Dwyer, and Scott Alexander?
- Could the Royals find lightning in a bottle with John Lamb?
In other spring training news, second baseman Omar Infante was scratched from today’s lineup in Goodyear with soreness in his elbow. AGAIN. Brett Eibner took his spot in the lineup.