Day 3 of the winter meetings was a crazy, whirlwind day, with the LA Dodgers making a bevy of moves. Day 4 has gotten off to an equally crazy start. Though the Rule V Draft usually signifies the end of the winter meetings, this year’s event may drag on a bit longer.
Here is how the Rule V Draft works:
Players are eligible for the draft if they have not been protected on a team’s 40-man roster. Minor league players are also eligible in their fourth or fifth year following the year they were drafted depending on how old they were when drafted.
A team can only select a player in the Major League phase if they have a 40-man roster spot available. The selecting team pays $50,000 to select a player. That player must make the big league team’s Opening Day roster and stay on the big league roster for the entire season, or be offered back to his original team for $25,000.
It is not easy to find that diamond in the rough, though some teams have. Do the names Roberto Clemente, Johan Santana, Dan Uggla, and Josh Hamilton ring a bell? This past season, three players selected stayed in the big leagues: catcher Adrian Nieto of the Chicago White Sox (who only reached High-A with Washington prior), reliever Tommy Kahnle of Colorado, and pitcher Wei-Chung Wang of Milwaukee.
The draft order is in reverse of the team’s 2014 standings. Meaning, the KC Royals pick near the bottom.
This year is an interesting draft, as a few former first round picks (ie Jed Bradley) and a few prospects (ie Delino DeShields and JR Graham) are eligible. The Royals have a few players who could be selected, most notably utility fielder Whit Merrifield. I really think he could help a big league team in 2015, though I doubt the Royals will give him a shot if he is not selected.
Stay tuned for the entire draft!
MLB.com is live streaming the audio of the draft.
RULE V Draft
1. Arizona: Oscar Hernandez, C, TB Rays
2. Colorado: Mark Canha, INF, Miami
3. Texas: Delino DeShields, Jr, OF, Houston
4. Houston: Jason Garcia, RHP, Boston (traded to Baltimore)
5. Minnesota: JR Graham, RHP, Atlanta
6. Boston: Jandel Gustave, RHP, Houston
7. Chicago White Sox: pass
8. Chicago Cubs: Taylor Featherston, SS, Colorado
9. Philadelphia: Odubel Herrera, SS, Texas
10. Cincinnati: pass
11. Miami: Andrew McKirahan, LHP, Cubs
12. NY Mets: Sean Gilmartin, LHP, Minnesota
13. Atlanta: Daniel Winkler, RHP, Colorado
Milwaukee, Toronto, NY Yankees all pass
17. Seattle: David Rollins, LHP, Houston
Pittsburgh, KC, Detroit, St. Louis, and LA Dodgers all pass
21. Baltimore: Logan Verrett, RHP, NY Mets
Washington and LA Angels both pass
Texas, Houston, and Cubs all pass
Philadelphia: Andrew Oliver, LHP, Pittsburgh
Miami and Atlanta both pass
So the Royals do not lose anyone in the Major League phase and do not select anyone. UPDATE: The Red Sox traded their Rule V pick, Jandel Gustave, to the Royals. Hearing that if he sticks, he would be the Royals hardest throwing reliever. Problem is, the highest level he pitched at was Low-A (Quad Cities) in 2014 with a 5.01 ERA in 79 innings (the most innings he has ever pitched in a season).
Now to the Minor League phase, where the Royals did not lose anyone or select anyone. No players were selected in the Double-A phase, while 30 players were selected in the Triple-A phase.
- Arizona: RHP Tim Crabbe (Cincinnati)
- Colorado: RHP Kyle Simon (Philadelphia)
- Texas: 1B Rock Shoulders (Cubs)
- Houston: C Luis Flores (Cubs)
- Minnesota: RHP Greg Peavey (NY Mets)
- White Sox: RHP Peter Tago (Colorado)
- Cubs: OF Ariel Ovando (Houston)
- Cincinnati: C Camden Maron (NY Mets)
- Miami: LHP Matthew Tomshaw (Minnesota)
- SD: SS Juan Gamboa (NY Mets)
- TB: OF Luis Urena (Pittsburgh)
- Atlanta: C Steven Rodriguez (Arizona)
- Cleveland: RHP Delvy Francisco (Philadelphia)
- SF: RHP Ramon Del Orbe (Miami)
- Detroit: RHP Jheyson Manzueta (Miami)
- St. Louis: RHP Tyler Waldron (Pittsburgh)
- LA Dodgers: OF Peter Lavin (Philadelphia)
- Baltimore: OF Sean Halton (Milwaukee)
- LA Angels: INF Chris Curley (CWS)
- Texas: SS Hiram Martinez (Miami)
- Cincinnati: RHP Euclides Leyer (CWS)
- Miami: 1B Harold Riggins (Cincinnati)
- TB: RHP Mikey O’Brien (Baltimore)
- SF: OF Brett Jackson (Arizona)
- LAD: RHP Alexander Santana (Baltimore)
- LAA: SS Pedro Ruiz (Arizona)
- Miami: LHP Alex Burgos (Detroit)
- LAD: RHP Randy Fontanez (NY Mets)
- LAA: RF Kentrail Davis (Milwaukee)
- LAD: SS Nathan Samson (Arizona)